Wednesday, 23 March 2011

Inspiration

   Everyone has, or at least should have, someone they look up to, like a role model, or was inspired by a particular person. I never really looked up to anyone nor had a role model or anything like that, but recently, I have found a couple people that really inspired me.

   First person is Theo Fleury, former Calgary Flame. Honestly, I didn't really know anything about him whether it was about his NHL career or his personal life. When he's autobiography book, called Playing With Fire, came out in 2009, I think, I HAD to buy it so I finally bought a copy of it just last summer. I read it through the semester, and I even used this book as my English project which turned out really good. I got an A on it. I was really happy. Anyways, for those of you who doesn't know who Fleury is, I will tell you a little bit about him right now. He was drafted by Calgary Flames in 1988 I believe, and I think he was drafted in 6th round, 175th overall or something I'm not really sure, and he was abouut 5'7", 175 lb. So he wasn't the biggest player like everyone else. Then he played for the Flames for a quite a long time, I can't remember how long, and he won a Stanley Cup with the Flames in 1989. Oh and he also scored that famous goal against the Oilers in 1990 haha. Then later on he played for the Avalanche, Rangers and Blackhawks. So I think for a 6th round pick, he had an amazing career. And plus, he was going through alcoholism, drug addiction, divorce, and etc. So he was pretty much a fuck up. So long story short, Fleury is sober now and has been for few years. What Fleury taught me was that no matter how bad the situation is, do not give up and believe in yourself and everything will turn out to be good. You never know until you actually go for it. Go after what you want. And that's exactly the advice I need right now.

   The second person I look up to is, it might be a little surprising, but it's Dwayne Carter, or known as Lil' Wayne. I just happened to be watching bunch of his interviews, and it really touched me. It seems like a lot of hip hop legends had a real bad childhood. Lil' Wayne was one of them. So I actually found out a lot of facts that I didn't know about Mr. Carter. First one was that he started writing songs when he was 8!! I don't even know what I did back when I was 8. And he produced his first album when he was 12!! I guess he was as amazing as he is now back then. Another fact that amazed me was that he was actually a straight A student. It's really hard to believe that because his songs sound nothing like 'As' if you know what I mean, and he gets high all the time. So I guess what I learned from this is that don't ever judge a book by its cover, because it could definitely nothing like what you think. Plus, the fact that how rich he is now, compare to what he's been through when he was young, it's just so inspiring. Everyone can succeed if they try hard and go after what they want. I will always think of this whenever I listen to Lil' Wayne.


No comments:

Post a Comment