Today, we played the last game of the semester/year. Well, it could have been the second last game but we needed a win tonight to go to a bonus game, but unfortunately winning did not happen. Overall, it actually was a pretty fun game. I used to play forward (winger to be specific) every single game, but I really wanted to play defense today, and I did. Since I'm not the fastest skater, I thought it was a perfect position for me. Tonight was the first time I've ever played defense in hockey so I was kind of lost for first couple shifts but I managed to pick it up and did quite well. Everyday I work, I've been watching how each and everyone plays their position and I think that really helped me. I blocked few shots, had a couple one-timers, and quite a lot of good defensive plays haha. The final score was 4-3. It was 3-3 until like the last minute of the game. We were scored on first 2 goal because of me. I could not skate fast enough so couldn't catch up to the opponent, and I wasn't playing at the right spot so opponent was wide open. Then, actually, at the last minute, we decided to pull the goalie because, first, we needed a win, not a tie, and secondly, we were on power play so it was 6 on 4. When the other team scored on our empty net, they were actually offside, but the ref didn't call it so it's kind of their fault for losing but oh well. It's a rec hockey. It's not worth fighting about it with the refs and plus they are my friends so I didn't really care, but my teammates did. At the end of the game, since the season is over, we had a little award session with the team. Everybody has gotten one. I got one too. I was actually really happy with my award but I was also surprised. I was awarded for the most improved player haha.
I actually had a lot of fun playing hockey this year. It was only 10 game season, but it was definitely worth it. The level I played in was a little high for me, but hey, playing with the better players help you become a better player. I do feel like I've become a better hockey player than I was before, but it's not THAT different. I probably don't notice it now, but maybe when I move down a level next year, I probably will definitely feel something different. Ever since I got new skates, it changed a lot of things, because, well, it's new skates, and new skates tend to hurt your feet for a long time. In my case, it's killing my heels. I actually looked at it today, and it was swollen pretty bad. I should stop skating for a bit and let the swelling go down for a bit. I don't know why my skates do that. My old ones did the same to my heels couple years back, and this new pair is doing it again. I asked everyone else, and they never had this problem. Oh well, good thing the season is over and I can take a break from skating for now until my heels get better.
No comments:
Post a Comment