Tuesday, 8 November 2011

True Friend

   I just remembered, when I was working at AMJ on saturday, while we were waiting for the Scotia Place's loading dock to open up, my coworker, Gerald, gave us a really good speech/story about how true friends are supposed to be like. I love talking to Gerald, he always tells me good stories and speeches about life and I'm always amazed how he comes up with new stories every time. It also amuses me too.

   Gerald is a former fisherman back in Nova Scotia, and of course he's stories always starts with 'when I was on a fishing boat back in Nova Scotia...' It's quite entertaining. Anyways, he told me, it's really hard for him to be friends with his coworkers, mostly because, well they are his coworkers not someone you hang out with and when he went on a new fishing boat with different crews, he had to use a knife to do something, I can't remember what it was, but his pocket knife was really dull. Then his coworker comes up to him and said 'Use mine for now, I'll go sharpen yours for you. Until then, that's yours.' Now, the message here is that someone gave up their tool to Gerald and took his own time to do something for Gerald. It doesn't sound much at all, but the fact that they are doing something for their friends and desire absolutely nothing in return, that shows the true friendship right there. If you do something for others and wants something in return about twice as much, that's not what friends do.

   As soon as he told me that story, it was a lot better when he said it, this is just like a condensed version of his story, but it reminded me of what Sam has been doing for me lately. I asked her why she did all that for me, and she said she believes in good karma. She also told me, she didn't do that much for me and it's not necessary for me to pay her back in the future. She may think it wasn't much, but to me, even if it wasn't much, just like Gerald's coworker, she took her own time and spent a lot of her own money to make my life better. Regardless of how big or small she thought it was, I'm still very grateful for what she's done for me. She never asked for anything in return, but I sure will do something that big for her one day. That's a perfect definition of friendship. I was fool to not see that and wanting to date her. I'm lucky enough to have a friend like her. I'm even lucky to know her.

No comments:

Post a Comment